Eco-Friendly meets the highest quality
Our mat board is made from cotton linters from the textile industry. Textiles are made using the longest, highest-quality fibers – the rest is discarded. This wasted cotton is salvaged and used to manufacture our archival quality mat board. Nothing could be more eco-friendly than reusing a product that is considered waste – otherwise this would all end up in the trash!
Our mat board also exceeds the standards established by the Library of Congress, Library Service Institutions, and The Fine Art Trade Guild.
If you like to mat your prints on your own, then you can also purchase Pre-Cut Mats. We offer 8-Ply, 4-Ply and 2-Ply Mat Boards. You can choose between Museum Boards or Conservation Boards, as well as openings for a wide range of print sizes.
BENEFITS OF MATTING VS MOUNTING
1) It gives clients something to hold other than the print itself, which can scuff the surface of the print and leave oils reducing the prints life.
2) It's more archival because the mat board surrounds the print in acid free and lignin free cotton.
3) The print can be removed if necessary (mats may get damaged though).
4) A client can easily frame it and the print won't touch the glass/acrylic.
A mounted print will touch the glass/acrylic if put in a frame without being matted, which is an additional pain because of the thick mounting substrate. If humidity gets in the frame the print can get damaged and stuck to the glass/acrylic.
To properly frame a mounted print without a mat, spacers need to be added between the surface of the print and the glass/acrylic to prevent the print touching the glass/acrylic. Most clients won't know this if they are getting it framed themselves.
5) Holding cotton mats with archival prints gives a luxury experience. It's a classic and timeless look that will never go out of style.
6) A mounted print typically has the ink right on the edge and if the edge gets dinged the ink can come off. A matted print just dings the mat, not the print.
COMMON PRINT + MAT PAIRINGS
5X7 Print + 8X10 Mat
8x10 Print + 11x14 Mat
11x14 Print + 16x20 Mat
16x20 Print + 20x24 Mat
We often do custom pairings as well to give even mat borders.
Use the chat feature or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for support